Hygge is a Danish word that means "a feeling of coziness, contentment, and well-being." It's all about creating a warm and inviting atmosphere that makes you feel relaxed and happy. Thanksgiving is a time for family and friends to come together and enjoy a delicious meal. But creating a Thanksgiving feast can be stressful.
In true hygge spirit, encourage your guests to contribute to the cozy atmosphere by bringing a dish, in creating a tablescape that exudes warmth and invitingness, fashioning a centerpiece that captures the essence of the season, and curating a playlist of soothing music that sets the stage for a memorable gathering..
How to Create A Comforting Hygge-Inspired Thanksgiving Meal to Celebrate With Loved Ones
- Focus on classic Thanksgiving dishes that are easy to make and incredibly comforting, like roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. These dishes have been enjoyed by generations of families for a reason – they are simply delicious.
- Use natural ingredients. Avoid using processed foods or artificial flavors. Instead, use fresh, seasonal ingredients whenever possible. This will give your dishes a more natural and wholesome flavor.
- Use local ingredients whenever possible. This will help to support your local community and create a more sustainable meal
Here are a few hygge-inspired Thanksgiving recipes:
- Mulled Wine or Apple Cider: Hygge is synonymous with a warm drink. This Mulled Wine or Cider Spice Kit is tailored for the passionate hot drink enthusiast and the perfect way to get started.
- Roasted turkey with gravy: This is a classic Thanksgiving dish that is always a crowd-pleaser.
- Mashed potatoes: This is another classic Thanksgiving dish that is easy to make and incredibly comforting. Be sure to use real butter and milk for the best flavor.
- Stuffing: There are many different ways to make stuffing, but a classic recipe always includes bread, celery, and onions. You can also add other ingredients, such as sausage, apples, or cranberries.
- Green bean casserole: This is a popular side dish that is easy to make and always a hit with kids. Be sure to use fresh green beans and don't overcook them.
- Pumpkin pie: This is a classic Thanksgiving dessert that is always a favorite. Be sure to use real pumpkin for the best flavor.
Thanksgiving TablescapingSet the table with warm and inviting colors. Use natural materials, such as wood or stone, and candles to create a cozy atmosphere.
- Use linens with earthy tones: This linen tablecloth is both stylish and elegant and comes in a wide variety of sizes. It's a bit of an investment but the beauty of each pure linen piece is the natural fibers that mellow with each washing, gets better with age and requires minimal care.
Place this rustic burlap table runner down the center of your table to add a touch of natural charm. It measures 12 x 108 inches and is long enough to fit most dining tables. You can also use it as a backdrop for your centerpiece.
- Candle holders made from stone or wood:
Set the mood for a warm and inviting Thanksgiving dinner with these rustic dark wood candle holders. It adds a unique and elegant touch to your table decorations.
This set of Nordic Style Ceramic Candlestick Holders would be perfect for Beeswax Tapers.
- Seasonal fresh flowers: Zinnas, gomphrenas, rudbeckias, and sunflowers placed in a Milk Jug Vase as the table centerpiece will have your guests wondering if you are channeling Joanna Gaines.
Remember to add elements like leaves, flowers, pinecones, and small pumpkins to complete your tablescape's natural elegance and reflect the season and the warmth of the occasion.
Set the mood with soft lighting and candles. Soft lighting and candles create a warm and inviting atmosphere that is perfect for a hygge-inspired Thanksgiving.
Drape soft white mini lights along the edges of your curtains, framing your living room windows with a gentle, ethereal glow. Or lay them on the table. Use a variety of candles in different sizes and shapes to create a cozy and festive ambiance. We offer some beautiful fall scented candles in autumn colors to place in the living room. The Changing Leaves in Amber Glass and Apple Cider and Oak in an 8 oz Ruby Red Satin Tim are perfect choices. Use these Unscented Beeswax Taper Candles on the dining table. You want your guests smelling the food. This set of three Smooth Brothers Beeswax Pillar Candles would look amazing on the wood candle holders above.
Play some relaxing music.Relaxing music can help to create a sense of peace and tranquility in your home.
- Classical music is always a great choice because it is relaxing and calming. Some good examples of classical music to listen to include Vivaldi's "Four Seasons," Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik," and Bach's "Brandenburg Concertos."
- Folk music is another great choice for a hygge-inspired Thanksgiving meal because it is often warm and inviting. Some good examples of folk music to listen to include Joni Mitchell's "Blue," Bob Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks," and Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
- Jazz music is a great choice for a hygge-inspired Thanksgiving meal as well because it is often upbeat and lively. Some good examples of jazz music to listen to include Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue," John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme," and Ella Fitzgerald's "Sings the Cole Porter Songbook."
Take some time to relax and enjoy the company of your loved ones. Thanksgiving is a time to be grateful for the people in your life, so take some time to savor the moment.
By following these tips, you can create a hygge-inspired Thanksgiving meal that will be warm, comforting, and memorable.
Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases made from links in my blogs posts. I never accept free products to feature in links.